Sunday, February 3, 2013

Weekly Meal Planning Tips

Happy Sunday Everyone!  Today is my day to surf the circulars and coupons and do my shopping for the week.  Meal planning has really helped me to provide good meals for my husband and me that fit our schedule as well as help control our food costs.  It's so easy to call in for delivery or take-out or make a frozen pizza but these aren't necessarily the healthiest choices and sometimes can cost more than making something yourself.  I no longer waste time standing in front of the fridge or pantry wondering what to whip up or make last-minute trips to the store.  For many families, meal planning is essential especially if a family member has allergies or food sensitivities that need to be factored in.  We're all busy so I hope my tips below can help you to plan and shop for your family's meals and maybe save you lots of time and money.  After my second (or sometimes third) cup of coffee, it's time to get down to the task at hand.

I usually start by asking my husband, Jason, if he is hungry for anything special.  It's easy to get into a rut by cooking the same meals all the time so I want to make sure he gives me some input into our meals.  Kids have their favorites too so make sure you ask them what they might like to eat this week.  Next, I check the weekly schedule.  Thank goodness for my Smartphone's calendar!  This particular week I am working until 7:30pm each night and Jason has a business trip on Wednesday into Thursday.  That night I have a very important birthday party to go to after work so I'm off the hook for dinner Wednesday night!  I also need to plan packable lunches and snacks since I go right from school to work each day.  Jason works a few days from home so I like to have things on hand that he can make while taking a short break. 

Think about your family's schedule when doing your meal planning.
  • Are there rehearsals or sports practices after school?  
  • Do you have a business function after work?  
  • If you are working late, what meals can you cook up and serve quick?
I LOVE cookbooks!  I think it's a hobby I inherited from my Mom.  I have cookbooks for specialty type foods like Asian and Spanish as well as meals that can be cooked for 2 or within 29 minutes.  I also love my old trusty Betty Crocker cookbook that has some great crock-pot recipes in addition to lots of traditional meals I grew up eating.  Once I get our schedule down, I peruse my cookbooks and pick out 5-6 recipes that offer a variety of foods to keep it interesting and ones that I know I can easily prepare even when I'm tired and hungry after a long day.   Write your menu down and include your page numbers so you can easily find your recipe.  Post your meal plan on the fridge so you don't have to answer the question "What's for dinner tonight?"

Our meal plan for this week looks like this:
Monday:  Classic Shrimp Fried Rice (Wok pg. 59)
Tuesday:  Spicy Broccoli Frittata (29 Minutes pg. 109)
Wednesday:  Kitchen Closed!
Thursday:  Crock-Pot Chicken Sausage Gumbo (Betty Crocker pg. 238)
Friday:  Chinese-Style Baby Back Ribs (Deep Dish pg. 35) w/ Baked Sweet Potatoes & Veggies

Now that your meal plan is set, time to make that shopping list!  Be sure to check your fridge and pantry for ingredients already on-hand while making your shopping list so you don't buy something you already have.  I typically only buy what I need for my meals that I plan each week.  This is truly what has saved on our food bills.  Of course, I always get sucked in by the Buy 1, Get 1 deals and 2-For offers, but I try to only buy what we would normally eat anyway.  Check your coupons and circulars for sales and you are on your way!  By the way, most sales start on Sundays so this is usually a great day for saving some additional money.

Preparing home-cooked, healthy meals for your family doesn't have to be a daunting task if you just plan ahead.  Ask for suggestions, check your schedule, write out your weekly menu, make a shopping list and grab your coupons. You'll hopefully find you're less stressed, eating better, and wonder why you never did this before!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment