Friday, June 7, 2013

3 Tips for Choosing Better Meals Out and Still Have Your Fun!


So tonight Jason and I are going to head down to Downtown Disney and check out Splitsville Luxury Lanes, an amazing entertainment complex that features bowling, billiards, music, and nightlife all under one roof.  We've been considering going since it opened in the Fall but we wanted to wait until crowds slowed down a bit (do they ever at Disney?!).  If you haven't seen this place yet, it is so cool and we're really excited to check it out tonight.

We decided we wanted the whole experience so we are going to eat at Splitsville and probably enjoy some adult beverages while we bowl a few games.  For those of us who try to watch what we eat, these places can be traps for all things batter-dipped, jumbo, layered, smothered, cheesy and decadent.  Although I love me some of these foods once in a while, I just don't feel like overdoing it tonight so I employed some of the tools I use for making healthier menu selections and I am sharing 3 of those tips with you.

1.  Most restaurants now have websites and many have decided to include their menus under a special tab.  Once you decide on the restaurant, carefully review the menu and be sure to check out any available substitutes such as fresh fruit or steamed veggies instead of fries.  If you're not sure how something is prepared or have special needs - call!  Don't forget to also look at the drink menu.  Many adult beverages are loaded with empty calories and just because it's liquid doesn't mean those calories don't count!  One other tip, per law, any chain with more than 20 sites must make their nutrition information available to patrons.

2.  Not sure where you want to go tonight but you're in the mood for Thai or some other specialty restaurant and don't want to blow your meal plan for the week?  Check out www.menusearch.net, click on your city and you will be able to find menus for some of your area's specialty restaurants.  You may just find a new restaurant you didn't know existed!

3.  I use an app on my Smartphone called Restaurant Nutrition that was free for download.  I can check calories, fat, sodium and other nutrition information by food item at any restaurant.  This is such a great idea for anyone who has diet restrictions due to diabetes, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance or just want to make healthier food choices when dining out. 

After reviewing the Splitsville menu, I know what I'm having tonight but I'm going to ask for light soy sauce and my dressing on the side so I can control my sodium and added fat intake.  For me, this decision was more appropriate than the Mad King 1 Full-Pound Burger or the Triple Pepperoni Pizza!   Take control of your nutrition strategy and plan ahead before you head out to your favorite restaurants.  Your body will thank you later!

By the way, according to another app I use, bowling burns 171 calories in one hour.  Maybe we can split a piece of the giant red velvet cake featured on the dessert menu after all!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment